Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, July 1, 2013

Whole Brain Teaching Conference and Book

I have had an amazing summer so far!  After school I was able to attend the national conference in Louisiana for Whole Brain Teaching.  I must tell you, if you ever get the chance to attend you should go!  It connected all the dots for me and showed me how to implement Whole Brain Teaching in my class all day every day.  We started Day 1 learning about Classroom Management. We reviewed the Big 7 (Class-Yes, 5 Rules,  Scoreboard, Teach/Okay, Hands & Eyes, Mirror, & Switch.  We learned the correct way to implement and introduce these.  One thing that I will be using more effectively this year is the Scoreboard.  I did not realize that there were so many levels for the scoreboard.  Last year I was very basic with whole brain teaching.  I used the Big 7 but it was not in depth and I was shown more effective ways to implement them in my classroom.  If you do not know anything about these I recommend going to www.wholebrainteaching.com and start downloading ebooks and watching webinars.  Chris Biffle lays out all aspects of the classroom management and IT'S FREE!  The second day we focused on the lay out of the 5 step lesson plan.  I really tried to implement this last year but I did not fully understand the lay out.  I learned the more you speak the less your children learn.  You lose them because after a while all they hear is blah blah blah so here comes the frustration with reteaching and repeating.  Seems like such a waste of time but is this not what we do in the classroom.  We teach, we repeat, we test, we reteach, we retest.  How awesome would it be to teach and move on because your students are really comprehending what you say?  Thus the 5 step lesson plan, you get their attention, you teach (briefly), they teach with gestures...this repeats until your lesson is finished.  After the first 3 steps what do you do?  You test and then give a critical thinking response.  The last day we saw a video of a Kindergarten class who wrote...are you ready? A 5 PARAGRAPH ESSAY!!  That's right friends!  KINDERGARTEN!  AMAZING does not even begin to describe it.  How did they do this you may ask..oral writing!  Speed Grammar!  Oh let me just say what an exciting day this was.  I plan on going more into this in a later post.  I just wanted to update you on my summer so far!  I am also reading Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids by Chris Biffle.  If you don't have this, it's an easy read and really lays out everything for you.  You even get scripts to use when you are implementing the different components in your classroom.  I'll go more into this book later as well.  Who wants to go on this journey with me this year?  I have started getting certified in Whole Brain Teaching.  I know this year will be AWESOME!  I should have several updates for you!  My 6 year old is planning out my backyard after watching yard crashers to make our lay out more effective.  I am working on making my classroom more effective and getting my kids EXCITED about learning EVERY DAY!  HOW?  WHOLE BRAIN TEACHING!  Let's get this party started!

4 comments:

Dana Lester said...

I LOVE WBT!! I went to a conference last summer and it was awesome! Good luck with it this year!
:) Dana
Common to the Core

Joanna said...

Thank you Dana! I'm hoping to be a little better about updating my blog this year. I seem to have several goals :)

Gina Nicholls said...

Love your blog!!!

Joanna said...

Thank you Gina!

Post a Comment